You can hardly find something more useful in your kitchen than apple cider vinegar. It helps to lose weight and reduce cholesterol. It’s good for lowering blood sugar levels and improving symptoms of diabetes. Yet, only rare supermarkets offer a natural product. In most cases, you have to buy chemicals instead of natural vinegar. Luckily, there is a perfect way out. You can make own apple cider vinegar at home. It’s not so difficult as it may be seen from the sight.
You need the following ingredients:
- apples. It’s not obligatory to use the whole fruit. It’s better to store crops of different types. The combination of sweet and calvados tastes is able to make your vinegar delicious. The chunks of apples or peels and cores are also appropriate variants. It should be noticed that is you want to get a really high-quality product it’s better to use homegrown fruit which is free of pesticides. The mold, fungi or rot samples are not good variants;
- sugar or honey.
As for the cooking supplies, you need canning jar and a clean muslin cloth. it’s better to choose glass containers. They are easier to be kept clean and sterilized. If you are worried about your poor cooking skills, you may keep your head up. The process of cooking takes 9 steps. The total time is less than an hour.
- The first thing to do is to chop the fruit into medium-sized pieces. After doing this, you should place it into a jar. It’s important to sterilize the container properly. If you wash it with soap, it’s necessary to check that there are no marks or scent of soap left. Otherwise, it may spoil the final result. It’s important to use clean knives, too. There should be no other bacteria except the organic ones.
- The next thing to do is to mix water with sugar or honey. If you prefer the last variant, you have to keep in mind that the whole process will last longer. You need to add one teaspoon of sugar for each apple.
- The step number 3 is to add water to the apples. The liquid should cover the fruit.
- It’s time to cover the container with the muslin cloth.
- The next step is to hide jar in a dark warm place. It’s a good idea to place the mixture next to the heater or radiator. You have to be sure that the substance is well covered and protected from flies and gnats.
- After 2 or 3 weeks, it’s time to strain out the liquid. After you discard the fruit pieces, you have to return the liquid to the container. The mixture should be left in a warm place for 4 weeks again. It’s recommended to mix the content once in 4-5 days. It’s better to use a wooden or plastic spoon.
- You should be aware of mold. The apples should be covered with water during the whole process. You need only white scum on the surface. If the scum of another color appears, it means that something is going wrong. It’s better not to use such a product.
- The bubblies are signals that show the start of fermentation. After at least 3 weeks of the process, you may taste the vinegar.
- As soon as the taste fits you, you can start using the product. It’s possible to repeat the process as many times as you like.
To conclude, it’s worth mentioning that apple cider vinegar is a universal thing you definitely need at home. It’s better to savor the homemade product.