A lovely-looking garden is a dream of any beginner or experienced landowner. Everyone wants to savor the delicate or bright flowerets in front of the house. However, it’s not an easy task to start a flowerbed. You have to consider many factors such as climate conditions, plant hardiness, and your preferences. You should bee ready to face various difficulties. The most common of them are the following:
- unexpected frosts;
- improperly chosen fertilizers;
- wrong plant neighborhood;
The last point is the most crucial one. The pesky vines are able to destroy your efforts in no time. That’s why it’s very important to think about weed protection. The modern agricultural market offers a wide range of available variants. For instance, some landowners prefer killing the annoying darnels with the help of chemicals. However, it’s not a good idea if you plan to grow fruit or barriers in your garden in the future. The thing is the chemicals may poison the crops or cause serious vine damages.
That’s why many gardeners chose garden weed barrier. It’s an innovative and effective material that protects your garden from pesky plants. You can find many variations of the material on the Net. Yet, the wrong application of the cover may have negative consequences. If you want to achieve good results in growing flowers, you have to consider the following mistakes which are quite common.
Amendments are not necessary
Some beginner gardeners are sure that a weed barrier is a universal solution for all problems. Although it’s a really good thing to apply in your garden, it can’t improve the fertility of the soil. That’s why it’s a good idea to add such amendments as compost or fertilizer before you cover the beds. If you miss this step, your flowers risk getting an insufficient number of nutrients.
The type of weed barrier is not important
You may be surprised to get to know that the greater part of people believes that the question of price is of prime importance. Someone chooses the most expensive samples neglecting their characteristics and features. Others try to save money and buy the cheapest variants. Yet, to make the right choice, you have to consider the following points:
- The material the barrier is made of. The most suitable variants are polyester and polypropylene. They allow the nutrients, air, and sunlight to go through;
- The size of the covering. Too small mats are not effective while the weeds continue speeding close to the vines. Too large samples take more place and need more effort to be installed. That’s why it’s necessary to figure out the needed size beforehand. You can do it with the help of a special online calculator;
- The width of the cover. Some flowers have very tender stems. Too thick cover can hurt the vine.
To sum it up, it should be noted that a weed barrier is your best helper for growing flowers. If you want to savor vivid flower beds, you have to get rid of pesky plants.