It’s a big mistake to think that only the residents of Zones 3-6 are able to savor the beauty of flowering gardens all year round. It’s quite possible to pick up such types of vines that will survive the weather conditions of Zones 9-11. One of the brightest examples is hardy begonia. The vine is able to charm even the most demanding individuals. The flowerets are colorful and eye-catching. Yet, if you want to savor their beauty in your garden, you have to consider useful tips on how to plant and grow the vine.
The most common varieties
You may face serious trouble when you decide to buy begonia. There are too many various types you have to choose among. The best variants are the following:
- Wax samples are well-known as bedding begonias. Their standard size is about 6-12 inches. The best location for them is under trees or in the hanging containers;
- Tuberous type is one of the most popular variety. It may grow 12-18 inches;
- Cane vines come in various colors. They enchant with their green foliage and bloom;
- Rhizomatous begonias form the largest group. Their distinctive features are unusual stems and leaves;
- Rex group is the best choice when it comes to summer flowers.
After you decide what types of begonias you want to cultivate, it’s high time to consider growing details. You should know the answers to the following questions:
- “When can I plant begonias?”
The best time is late spring when there is no threat of frost anymore. It’s a good idea to start planting vines in April. Moreover, it’s possible to plant flowerets in pots before placing them in the ground.
- “Where should I plant the flowerets?”
The right choice of spot is a key element of a successful planting. You have to place tubers in dappled or full shade. It’s of prime importance to hide the vine from the direct sun. The quality of soil is also important. It’s necessary to get rid of weeds. They are able to harm your flowers and take off the needed nutrients and minerals. It’s not a good idea to apply chemicals. Begonias are not able to resist their harmful effects. An effective way out is the installation of high-quality landscape fabric. It’s possible to pick up proper variants for any beds.
- “What are the main requirements for the soil?”
The soil should be rich and moist. Overwatering can cause root rot. An effective drainage system is a must. The vine is delicate. It’s necessary to protect it from the wind.
It’s also should be mentioned that begonias are dangerous for pets. Still, these flowers are an amazing variant when it comes to creating an awesome landscape design.